Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Radmobile - 10spd




buy: http://10spd.bandcamp.com/

As always, may I remind my loyal reader (yes, I used a non-plural) that all opinions expressed in this are that of a classically trained worker monkey (myself)

Before I begin, I'm liking the album cover

This is also his first full release (and the first time I have heard of him)

Here goes:

The Negative:

1- It doesn't fill your ears enough.

What do you mean by this Monov?
Sometimes through the songs there is too little going on, it takes away from that techno/dance/club-vibe he has going.

SIDENOTE:
In music, silence is very powerful (when used properly).
A good example of properly used silence: (note, I took the opportunity for a lesson, 10spd's music is fairly active, and he doesn't just randomly pause)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU75uz0b8EU
Right before the drop in this song (as in when the bass hits) and after the fairy says "listen!" we have a moment of silence, that really creates a punch and shock factor to the song.
/end of sidenote
But see, in these songs, in-between beats there sometimes feels like too little. I'd like some more full harmonies, and I'd like it to really encompass me in a sound-scape.

Also, he really should use stereo and echo more, especially with what he's going for, it's fairly common in that genre.

Even when the melody is not there, you can do something to make your listeners less bored.
example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Urfjyj4FnUc
in-between each instrument's solo in bolero, Ravel has that snare drum and the strings plucked to keep beat. While it may not seem much, it's a lot more interesting than just have the drum do rhythm keeping. Ravel also has other instruments join in on the rhythm. (also, on a side note, I am now going to be listening to Bolero for the next few days, annoying my classmates)

an example of using more stereo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY1PeH9fg5A
Notice how it fills up your headphones?

So 2 things to improve on:
Using stereo space more so I feel engulfed in the sound
Doing more than just a melody and bassline, some harmonies can really improve what you are going for! EXPERIMENT!!!!!

The positive:
Nice melodies!!!
Melodies tend to be a theme on the negative side of my blog, his melodies being on the positive side is good!

Good instrumentation
His gameboy really does have an electronic synth feel, and it fits all of his melodies. Never was there a moment that I questioned the type of synth he used.

8.5/10
He knows his way around the gameboy quite well. For a first full release, it's really good considering stuff I've heard that are also first releases. Worth 5 dollars for sure! PS. I'm writing this outside under the stars on my ipod.

Homework for him:
Make sure your gameboy fills the space! Use the stereo more. Make sure you aren't doing nothing!

No comments:

Post a Comment